Monday, August 27, 2012

the relations between maths and scores reading.

Well, this was written after the my final Maths exams.
In a way, I needed an outlet to regenerate my brain, so here I am typing a hypothesis that I got inspired of while walking down 5 flight of stairs. ( Not forgetting, the continuous pinches of pain coming from my left knee)

The very last piano lesson that I had, my P. teacher clarified the limit of using the right brain for piano playing. hmmm. It is a well known fact that piano playing helps to stimulate the right side of the brain, for areas in creativity and the arts. Singapore's education system focuses heavily on the usage of the left brain, therefore the potential of my right brain may have been left undeveloped and untapped on.

So I thought piano could unleash potential in that area in which it could make me possibly smarter (well, not totally true). But months under the tutelage of this P. teacher, and STILL having really bad sight reading skills. I asked her how? How to improve on my sight reading??
Her answer was simple: look at the patterns, look at the notes in a collective group and analysis the patterns.
The current level that I am in doesn't require long hours of practicing, but needless to say starting at the age of 16, where studies isn't a walk in the park anymore, time management is vital skill. Hence, analyzing the pieces would help identify and group the similar patterns. This in turn narrows down a significant amount needed for my fingers to remember :D
Mindblown moment!
Patterns are similar, so instead of practicing the entire piece, I just have to pick out the patterns and let the fingers memorize the movements and apply to other similar patterns as well.
OK so in relations to maths...
I just experienced the same effect in the examination hall 0.0. 3 weeks have been spent doing endless of Maths paper and identifying the similarities and the patterns effect kicked in.
I merely did my integration based on somewhat in a screensaver mode, whereby my hands were moving on its on without much deliberation from the brain.

OK. nerd post.
but YAY, reduced usage of the brain and more spaces for more useful stuff*like?-.-*
HAHA
cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment